Monday, November 7, 2011

This Black Girl Rocks!!

Sitting at my desk watching the recap of last night's Black Girls Rock on www.bet.com, I am rocking and bobbing my head to the performances and throughly enjoying the show, even though I'm a day late.  But better late than never right. 

But it made me go through a number of different emotions... from empowerment to reflection from being proud to almost a sense of sadness.  Let me tell yall why...

Empowerment- This show shows women of all ages, educational backgrounds, complexions, and talents doing big things for themselves and others.  From philanthropic efforts to social engagement, this showed every little black girl what can be done.  From watching divas like Mary J Bliges who have very publically gone through ever issue and addiction ever know to man... and has made some pretty good music because of it and has blossomed into one of the biggest voice of our time.  Or from watching the stories of Angela Davis (fist in the air) who was persecuted for trying to help her people in the 1970's and if you don't know about Angela Davis please use the powers of Google for good and Google her ok! All of the honorees of last night shows had some "pull up from your bootstrap" story and it made me feel proud of first of all being black... and secondly being a woman (the backbone of society as we know it) Because I know and understand of what a strong woman is capable of.  I was raised by one... The strongest in my opinon... HEY MOMMA!!  And it just made me want to sling my weave and let the world know I am woman here me roar. LOL!  But then my mood went to one of empowerement to one of reflection.

Reflection- This was more of self-reflection.  I was thinking well what am I doing.  Can I do bigger and better with my life?  Am I tapping into my talent that God blessed me with and be a blessing unto somebody else?  When will I be at the point where I am stable and ready to sow the seeds that were planted?  Sometimes I feel as if I am not doing all of what I could or can.  As a young woman in our 20's we can get so caught up in what the other person thinks.  But I talk to older ladies who speak of the same struggles and say well hey when you get in your 30's, 40's, and 50's all of that doesn't matter.  All that matters is that you take care of you and your business.  So yes, we can still stumble along the way while finding oursleves but the key is to be happy at were you are now.  I am still learning that myself.  By no means do I want to be complacent or just ok with my life what now.  Because I know there is a bigger purpose that I going to have walk into.  I wake up everyday wanting that something better.  To do better, to live better, to continue to build a stronger relationship with God, to continue to enjoy my life right now because being Young, Fabulous, Gifted, and not Rich at 28 is ok and just fine. 

Proud-  I automatically became proud of myself and those around me.  Proud of what I want to accomplish and what I have already accomplished.  Honestly, there are some people my age that are still searching and trying to find their way and not knowing what it is they want to do and be.  I pray for myself and those people on a daily basis.  I am proud of the the fact regardless of what other may think... I am still pretty awesome.  And I surround myself with awesome people. 

and finally...
Sense of Sadness-  Just like Black Girls Rock was on last night Real Housewives of Atlanta began last night and like most people myslef included... we decided to watch the mess and not the positive.  Now, if you are like me that decided to watch one after the other that's ok... but we all know that some people didn't look twice at Black Girls Rock because they were watching NeNe tell yall about that "Trump Money."  Now, I am not hollier than thou.  I watch the ratchetness and bafoonery that is RHOA, BBWives, and Love and Hip Hop (which I am super excited about btw) but purely for the entertainment.  I believe that if you decide to set yourself out there then I will watch to get some good laughs at your expense.  While I will not argue it is good tv, I don't go out there thinking that NeNe and Jackie Christy are my role models of how to act.  But unfortunately, there are some girls and even grown A$$ women who actually think that ish is cute.  Well Boo Boo its not!  Just to let you know.  There are no video cameras so no need for the show!  Just saying!  But it really does make me sad that we let other people's opinon and those that we see on the media draw out what we are supposed to be.  Or look like. Or act like.  It's not that serious y'all I promise!

Seriously though yall we need to look to a place a little positivity into our lives to offset the negative.  It's ok to enjoy the idoiot box but let's not make us into idiots.  Just know that the world looks at you the same way they look at NeNe and all these other Black Women they watch on tv.  So it is up to you to show them differently.

Black Girls Rock honoree Shirley Cesar said "The hand that rocks the craddle rules the world."  It's power in them rolling hills ladies... Jilly from Philly said it best.  We have to know the power we possess and use it for good!

And that's the way Flo sees it!

No comments:

Post a Comment